The Venkatramana Temple, which is the
largest edifice within the fortified town, was built by Muthyalu Nayaka
(AD. 1540 - 1550). It contains a number of Tamil inscriptions. Quite a
few monolithic ornamental pillars were taken away from this temple to Pondicherry
and set up around the statue of Dupleix, the Governor, during the French
occupation of Gingee in AD. 1761. large well-planned temple complex, now
abandoned and dilapidated, is at the south-east side of the outer fort.
Most of the temple, except perhaps a small Chola core, was built by Muthiah
Nayaka in the mid-16th century. Tall swing pavilions stand outside the
compund walls, each with multiple brick towers.
Venkataramana temple is situated near
the "Gateway of Pondicherry" in the South, faces East with high gopura.
This temple was built by Muthialu Nayaka in 1540 A.D. - 1550 A.D. This
temple is the place of worship till date. In this temple there are also
deities of Devi, Aandaal and Narasima. There are two prakaras, Kalyana
Mandapa,Urchava Mandapa and Yaga Sala Mandapa with pillars. They are in
ruin condition now and also no pooja is performed at present.