The temple is situated
on the eastern coast. It is a huge structure with three parakaramsand several
mandapams with mini shrines to other deities. There is a huge Anjaneya
in a mini shrine. There is a huge Nandi measuring 12 feet in length and
9 feet in height., with the idols of Viswanatha Naicker and Krishnama Naicker.
The lingams are housed in the inner section of the Ramalingeshwara. High
walls enclose the temple, forming a rectangle with huge pyramidal gopura
entrances on each side. The gateways lead to the spacious closed ambulatory,
flanked to either side by continuous platforms with massive pillers set
on their edges. These corridors are the most famous attribute of the temple,
their extreme - 205 metres, with 1212 pillars on the north and south sides
- giving a remarkable impression of receding perspective. Delicate scrollwork
and brackets of pendant lotuses supported by yalis, mythical lion-like
beasts, adorn the pillars. There are shrines for Ganapathi and Subramanya.
To the right of the Lords shrine is the shrine for Parvathi. To its North
is the Kasi Viswanathars shrine